Friday, January 28, 2011

2011 IMAZ Training Plan!

So here it is.  After hours and hours of work, slaving over numerous books and websites, and reviewing my previous training, I'm finally done!  I've put together a training program, with the swimming and cycling portions mostly based on Joe Friel's two books, "Going Long" and "The Triathlete's Training Bible".  He has many, many other books, but I read too slow to read more than two a year, so maybe I'll consider them next time.  For the running, I'm going to be sticking with my proven training book, "Run Less Run Faster".  It's quite a long plan, going from January 31st to Ironman Arizona, which is on November 20th.  Here's the weekly categorization:
  • Weeks 1-3 - Transition period.  Basically I'll be easing back into working out multiple times a day.
  • Week 4 - I have the Ragnar Relay Del Sol race.  I'll train through this race though, rather than do any tapering.
  • Weeks 5-8 - Prep period.  Again, getting used to working out multiple times a day.  However, now I'll be sticking to my weekly structure more strictly.
  • Weeks 9-12 - Base 1.  This period focuses almost strictly on endurance.
  • Weeks 13-16 - Base 2.  This period adds some speed work.
  • Weeks 17-20 - Base 3.  This period has the same focus as Base 2, but duration is increased.
  • Weeks 21-24 - Build 1.  This period will add some focus to anaerobic endurance.
  • Weeks 25-28 - Build 2.  Same as Build 1, but duration is increased.
  • Weeks 29-30 - Peak. This period contains race specific training.
  • Week 31 - Race.  This week has the Disneyland Half Marathon, where my goal is under 1:34.
  • Week 32 - Transition.  Basically a recovery week after week 31.  
  • Weeks 33-36 - Base 3.  Same as weeks 17-20.
  • Weeks 37-39 - Build 1.  Same as weeks 22, 23, and 24.
  • Weeks 40-41 - Peak.  Same as weeks 29 and 30.
  • Week 42 - Race.  Ironman Arizona!!!  Goal is under 12:00 (and to tell Eric Byrnes "nice job" as I pass him!)
Now to explain all of this just a little further (but not too much, because if I'm getting bored typing, I know you're getting bored reading!), it's basically a bunch of 4-week cycles.  There are 3 weeks where the daily workout times increase gradually, then it backs down for a week, then builds back up for three and backs down for one.  Repeat that about one hundred times, and that's basically the plan.  It's called "periodization" and supposedly is the thing to do, if you're looking for things to do.

The weekly workouts were a bit of a struggle for me to figure out.  Because I have a family, it is best for me to have some sort of set schedule, so they know what training I'm needing to get done each day, rather than having it change on a daily basis.  So trying to come up with a weekly schedule that could stay the same every week, and work with my work schedule (going to work for 24 hours, then being home for 48) was a little tricky.  I needed to have my workouts split in such a way that whether I was going to work in the morning, or coming home, or not working that day, I would be able to get my workout done.  So here's what I came up with:
  • Sunday - Run
  • Monday - Swim and Bike
  • Tuesday - Run
  • Wednesday - Swim and Bike
  • Thursday - Run (long run)
  • Friday - Swim and Bike
  • Saturday - Bike and Run (done as a brick)
And on top of all of this, I'll most likely be riding my bike to work (36 mile round trip) starting in March.  There's going to be days when I have to do my biking on the trainer, and there's going to be days when I have to run on the treadmill.  But, that's just the way it's going to be.  And I know there's no days in there to rest.  All I can say to that is, Sunday and Tuesday are going to be short workouts, and every fourth week is going to be a recovery week.

Wow.  That looks like a lot of training.  And that doesn't even say anything about the actual workouts I'm going to be doing.  I'm not going to list those out, not only because I have no desire to stare at this computer screen for that long, but also because I know nobody is going to sit and read through all of that nonsense!  Instead, I'll do weekly posts about my training.  Similar to my previous blogging, I'll include in each "training post" what I plan on doing in the coming week, as well as a recap of how the previous week's training went.  Which, will start tomorrow.  Woo hoo!  So if anybody feels like training for Ironman Arizona along with me (other than you Eric Byrnes...don't be stealing my training plan!), feel free!  Week 1 will be posted tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment