Sunday, March 4, 2012

IM CdA Training - Week 8

This last week was a bit of a crazy one.  Not in the sense of training, I was just busy as crap!  Add to my busy schedule a 3 year old daughter with a double ear infection and my week wasn't looking too good.  Oh, and I wasn't feeling all that great myself!

I ended week 7 by waking up feeling a bit nauseous on Saturday morning.  I needed to get in my long run on Saturday, so I went ahead an still hammered out 10 miles, not feeling great at any point during that run.  Immediately upon completion of this run, I rushed home and get changed for the Great Urban Race.  I expected this event to be a giant scavenger hunt, and not too much more.  Well, it was a bit more than I expected.

Yep, that's a scorpion on my tongue, which ended up in my belly.
After it was all said and done, we ran/walked somewhere between six and eight miles during that scavenger hunt.  Definitely not what I expected.  And to top it off, I still wasn't feeling great, so I had avoided eat any food throughout the day.  Probably a bad idea.  All together, I put in about 16 or so miles on Saturday.

Sunday brought a 3 hour and 45 minute bike ride.  I still wasn't feeling too good, but I had plans to meet up with my Couer d'Alene competition for this bike ride, so there was no backing out.  It ended up being a pretty good ride, except for the flat tire I got at the end of the ride.  And, due to poor planning on my part, the ride had to be cut about 15 minutes short.  One quick tip, be sure that your tube valve stems are long enough for your rims...

The rest of Sunday I spent trying to recover, but never really quite got there.  This was good and bad.  Good, because it was the end of a hard week, and I knew that I had no training planned for Monday, and the upcoming week was going to be a recovery week.  The bad was that I had probably pushed through something when I should have rested a bit and would probably pay a price.  Well, I did end up paying a price in the form of needed to take a few extra days off from training.  Here's what my week 8 training ended up looking like:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - 1 hour 30 minute bike ride
Friday - 1 hour 15 minute bike with 20 minute BRICK run
Saturday - 1 hour 5 minute ride.
Sunday - 55 minute run.  1 hour swim.

I actually just finished the swim, and I felt pretty good, which makes sense since I took a few extra days off.  The good news is that I don't think I lost too much swim fitness, even though I only got in one swim workout this week.  And I only did one run outside, and felt great.  I ran just under 7 miles and averaged about 7:20/mile during that run.  Not too bad!

So, my recovery week was just that...a recovery week.  I did a little more "resting" than I would have liked, but it was necessary.  Up next, week 9!

2 comments:

  1. Jason, sounds like a crazy week to me. How do you stay inspired to keep training when stuff in life keeps coming up to distract you?

    http://goeasylife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up Troy (I think)? First off, thanks for reading! This is absolutely a crazy week for me, and I'm pretty sure it's only going to get busier. Before I can even attack my training, I have to consider that I'm working at least 56 hours at work each week, and trying not to be an invisible father and husband. It can be pretty tough sometimes.

    What really works best for me is to do the bulk of my training early in the morning, when my family is sleeping, so I don't miss out on time with them. One of the best ways that I do that is by riding my bike to work. And now that the sun is coming up earlier, I can get in a longer bike ride on my way to work. I'm also very fortunate to be able to get in a workout while I'm at work.

    Even with all of that, there's still plenty of things that come up, whether they're planned or not, that make getting in some training virtually impossible. I try my best to not get caught up on it and just focus on the next workout. Also, I "overschedule" my training by just a little, because I know that each week there's going to be something that comes up. It kills me to miss an entire workout, but sometimes that's the only option. Other times, I just have to shorten the workout, or maybe move it and do an extra workout on an "easy" day.

    I see that you're also doing triathlons and have some pretty awesome goals for yourself. Good luck to you and I hope that you achieve your goals! If you have any other questions, you know where to find me!

    ReplyDelete