Monday, March 11, 2013

Is this in my future?

I've been reading a few different sport-related books lately, one of which is called "Finding Ultra", by Rich Roll.


He has a pretty interesting life story, which he explains in the book.  He goes through a few ups and downs in his life and eventually landed on the decision that he needed to make a change in his life.  He starts with his diet, switching to a plant-based diet.  Then he decides on doing an Ironman.  Unfortunately, didn't realize that Ironman races sell out a year in advance and he did not want to wait that long.  He ended up stumbling across Ultraman.  I don't want to ruin the story, in case you decided to read it, but he ends up surprising himself and many others.

I happened to learn about the Ultraman a year or so ago, when I actually came across some stories of Rich Roll online.  Basically, it's a 320 mile stage race, done over 3 days.  It kicks off with a 6.2 mile swim and a 90 mile bike ride on day one.  Day two brings a 171.4 mile bike ride.  And day three closes the race with a double marathon, 52.4 miles.  The times from each day are all added up, and the athlete with the least amount of time is declared the winner, however anyone who completes the race is still a winner in my eyes.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I was looking around on the ever-popular Slowtwitch.com.  I navigated my way over to the forums and there was one in particular that caught my eye.  It read "New Ultraman announced".  I clicked on it, and found a link that sent me here:


So, I looked around a bit and pondered my future.  I took a look at what the price-tag on something like this would be, and it turns out, it's a mere $1800!  Add on to that the fact that you have to travel out to Florida and provide your own support crew/supplies, and this race starts to get a little pricey.  Needless to say, I ran it by The Wife and I will not be registered for the inaugural running on Ultraman Florida.

But, with such a great location, my family could go to Disney World while I torture myself!  It sounds like a win-win for the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment